- Tomato Biryani
1 cup rice ,3 tomatoes chopped, will make 1-1/2 cup chopped tomatoes,3 tablespoons oil,1/4 cup raw shelled peanuts,1 teaspoon mustard seeds,1 green chili chopped,1/4 teaspoon turmeric,3 teaspoons samber powder, available in Indian grocery store,1-1/2 teaspoon salt,
1/4 cup cilantro (hara dhania) chopped,2 cups of water
* Wash and soak the rice in about 3 cups of water for at least 15 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
* Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When moderately hot, add mustard seeds.
* When the seeds cracks add peanuts and stir fry for one minute until peanuts are lightly golden brown.
* Add about 1 cup chopped tomatoes, green chili, turmeric, sambar powder, salt and cilantro, cook until tomatoes are tender. This should take about 2 minutes.
* Add rice and 2 cups of water mix and bring it to boil, lower the heat to low and cover the pen. Let it cook for about 18-20 minutes. * * Cook until rice is soft and water has evaporated.
* Stir the rice gently and add the remaining tomatoes stir gently, cover the pan and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
* Serve rice by it self or with yogurt.